Highlights of the report include:
- Loot was taken in 92 percent of the incidents, totaling more than $9.3 million.
- Of the loot taken, 21 percent, or more than $1.9 million, was recovered and returned to financial institutions.
- Bank crimes most frequently occurred on Friday. Regardless of the day, the time frame when bank crimes occurred most frequently was between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Acts of violence were committed in 3 percent of the incidents, resulting in 18 injuries, two deaths, and 35 persons being taken hostage.3
- Oral demands were the most common modus operandi used, closely followed by demand notes.4
- Most violations occurred in the Southern region of the U.S., with 420 reported incidents.